Roulette is a classic casino favourite, providing one of the world’s most-loved games of chance. Whether you’re an experience roulette player or a complete roulette newbie, we explain all you need to know about playing roulette for the chance to win real money from the best online casino sites on the Web.
Best online roulette sites
Online roulette explained
Roulette is a luck-based casino game where players place a wager on where they predict the ball will land after it spins to a stop on the roulette wheel. There are multiple bets that can be placed, known as inside and outside bets (explained in detail below), with different odds and payouts for each.
Online roulette is near identical to traditional land-based roulette, aside from the fact games are operated by random number generated (RNG) software, as opposed to real human croupiers spinning wheels. Certified RNG software produces completely random and unbiased results, akin to spinning the wheel in real life, with nothing the player can do to influence the outcome of a spin. Leading online roulette developers like NetEnt, Microgaming, BetSoft and Playtech all offer RNG software certified by independent auditing bodies like eCOGRA to ensure game fairness and true randomness at all times.
For those dubious about RNG roulette, the growth in technology within the online gambling industry means live dealer roulette can now be experienced from the comfort of our own homes. This means real human croupiers filmed in real-time from regulated studios, who are in control of the game (spinning the wheel and calling the result), while we watch and bet on the game via the high definition video feeds streamed direct on our computer screens. If you wanted the real casino experience in your living room, this is it.
Online roulette gambling sites
Both formats of online roulette (live dealer and computer simulated games) hold the same rules as land-based roulette, but with greater betting flexibility, better player odds and a much larger range of roulette variants. Log in to your favourite online casino, make a real money deposit, grab your welcome bonus and enjoy the list of online roulette games, many of which are also available for smartphone and tablet play. Our recommended casino sites also provide the option of trying the games for free prior to betting with real money.
Each casino we recommend is licensed by its respective gaming authority within its jurisdiction, and is regulated by independent online gaming testing agencies which regularly test sites for player fairness and security. The casino sites available depend on which country you’re playing from, with different laws in each country dictating online availability. For a full list of the top-rated roulette sites available to you, refer to our casino table above – this has been geo-targeted to recognise your location and only recommend casinos that welcome players from your country. You can also read our detailed region guides for further information about the online gambling laws in different countries.
Roulette games for Internet gameplay
Unlike playing in a land based casino where you are limited to whichever roulette version the casino operator chooses to offer, playing online gives you the freedom to choose between a whole heap of roulette variants – many with better odds than what you would find in real life. Below we have provided a brief list of some of the roulette games available on the Internet at our endorsed casinos. Remember, always choose European roulette over American roulette (and/or French) due to the superior player odds and lower house edge European variants hold:
- American roulette
- European roulette
- French roulette
- Roulette Royale
- Multi-wheel roulette
- Multi-player roulette
- VIP roulette
- Live dealer roulette
- Immersive roulette
RNG online roulette games use advanced graphics and quality interfaces, with wheels and table layouts reflecting exactly what you’d see within a land-based casino. Betting is easily accommodated for – choose the coin denomination you wish to bet with, place the coin anywhere across the betting table interface, and hit spin when ready. Most roulette games will offer chip values between 50 cents and $1000 (1000 credits in the currency of your choice). Minimum and maximum bets vary from game to game, with plenty of high-limit games to suit high rollers and VIP players.
Most online games also have multiple pre-set options such as French call bets available, where all you are required to do is select your desired chip value and choose the pre-set wager you want to place – the numbers will be highlighted on the table, and once you click, your chip values are automatically spread across those numbers (French call wagers include voisins du zéro/neighbours of zero, the snake bet, the random 7 wager, the 007, red splits and black splits).
View statistics, history, change the design of your table, use the outplay function to get the game going automatically for a pre-set number of times or to stop when you win a certain amount, alter sound and music settings, empty turbo mode, and save your betting layout so you can use it again later.
Live dealer roulette
Live dealer roulette games also maintain the same table layouts and betting options, with the added feature of the game being controlled by a genuine human croupier who is filmed in real-time and streamed via HD video feeds to you screen once you enter the chosen live game. Always attractive and friendly, we can chat with the croupiers and engage in some friendly banter, while also changing views from a true casino view to a more general overview of the betting interface, with the live dealer video pictured in a smaller screen. For some serious eye-candy, consider playing Microgaming’s hugely popular Live Playboy Roulette, where roulette dealers are attractive women dressed as Playboy Bunnies.
Roulette bets and payouts
The payouts for the traditional roulette bets are as follows:
Inside roulette bets:
- Single number: betting on a straight up number, made by placing chips on one number. Pays 35:1.
- Split: betting on two number, made by placing chips on the intersecting line between the two numbers. Pays 17:1.
- Street: betting on three numbers in a horizontal line, made by placing chips on the outer-left edge of the line of the number at the chosen row, for example; 22, 23, 24. Pays 11:1.
- Trio: European only, and it is betting on one of the following combinations – 0, 1 and 2, or 0, 2 and 3 – by placing chips at the intersecting line of the chosen three numbers. Pays 11:1.
- Corner: also known as a square bet, place your chips at the intersection of a horizontal and a vertical line between four numbers. Pays 8:1.
- Six Line: betting on two intersecting streets by placing chips on the outer-left edge of the line where the desired rows meet (between where two street wagers would be placed). Pays 5:1.
- Basket: in the European layout, the basket bet covers the numbers 0, 1, 2 and 3 and to make the wager, chips are positioned on the outer-left edge intersecting line of the zero and the 1, 2, 3 row. Pays 8:1. In the American layout, a basket wager covers any of the following combination of numbers: 0, 1 & 2; 00, 2 & 3; or 0, 00 & 2. Make this bet (although you shouldn’t be playing American roulette in the first place) by placing chips on the corresponding intersecting line between the chose group of numbers. Pays 11:1.
- Top Line: specific to double-zero American roulette, you are wagering on the following group of numbers – 0, 00, 1, 2 & 3 – by placing chips on the outer left-edge of the intersecting line of 0 and 1, or 00 and 3. Pays 6:1. Has the highest house edge (7.89 per cent) of any bet in American roulette. Avoid at all costs.
Outside roulette bets
Please note that each of these bets are specifically marked out on the table layout:
- 1 to 18 & 19 to 36: bet on the ball landing on a number from 1-18 or 19-36. Pays 1:1.
- Evens & odds: wager on the ball landing on an even or an odd number. Pays 1:1.
- Red & black: wager on the ball landing on either a red or black number. Pays 1:1.
- Dozens: bet on the ball landing on the 1st 12 set, 2nd 12 set or 3rd 12 set of numbers (first 12 numbers include 1 to 12, second 12 numbers include 13 to 24 and third 12 numbers include 25 to 36. Pays 2:1.
- Columns: a wager on the ball landing on any of the numbers in any of the three vertical lines displayed on the roulette table layout (the pockets which read 2 to 1). The first column includes 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31 and 34. The second column includes 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29, 32 and 35. The third column includes 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33 and 36. Pays 2:1.
All the outside wagers exclude zero. If zero is spun, you lose all outside wagers, unless playing a variant of roulette where the French la partage and en prison rules are in place.
All our recommended online casino are mobile compatible and host several roulette titles within their mobile interfaces, each maintaining strong graphics and smooth gameplay optimised for play with the touch-screen. Register an account directly from your smartphone, tablet or even your Smart TV, make a deposit instantly from you mobile device and start playing roulette any time, anywhere, so long as you have a data-enabled device and a reliable Internet connection.
Secure roulette banking
Our chosen online roulette casinos employ the highest standards of security to protect player personal and financial details (a minimum of 128-Bit SSL digital encryption technology is utilised for all transactions). Numerous casino banking options are available, including credit and debit cards, e-wallets, pre-paid vouchers and cards, and instant wire bank transfers. The large chunk of deposit methods are instant, while withdrawals can often take between 24-72 hours (working days).
If you are wary about spending money over the Internet, consider using a trusted VPN (virtual private network) service for an added layer of security.